Strawberry Oatmeal Bars, includes a delightful crumble topping, a sweet strawberry filling, and a buttery oat crust For ease of preparation, the bottom crust and top crumble are created from the same dough. These delectable strawberry bars are ideal for spring and summer desserts!
For the crust and topping:
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned oats
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) cold unsalted butter (cut into ½-inch cubes)
For the strawberry filling:
- 2 pounds fresh strawberries (stemmed and chopped small (about 6 cups chopped))
- zest of one lemon
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- Prepare the strawberries: wash them under cold water and gently pat dry. Remove the stems and chop into small pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the white whole wheat flour, all-purpose flour, oats, brown sugar and salt. Stir to combine. Add butter cubes to the bowl and use your fingers or a pastry blender to work the butter into the flour mixture until the dough begins to clump together and the largest pieces of butter are the size of small peas.
- Place 3 ½ cups of the dough into the prepared baking dish and use your hand to firmly press it into an even layer in the bottom of the pan.
- In another bowl, gently toss the strawberries with the lemon zest, ½ cup sugar, cornstarch and vanilla until evenly distributed. Evenly spread the strawberries over the crust. Crumble the rest of the dough over the strawberries.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 36 to 42 minutes, until the dough is just golden brown on top and the filling is bubbly. Place pan on a wire rack to cool completely before slicing and serving. Store bars in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.