Krispy Kreme Donut
- ADVERTISEMENT -
- 2½ tsp active dry yeast
- 2 Tbsp warm water
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
Mix with a mixer:
- 3¼ cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole milk warm
- 2 oz shortening
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 cup confections sugar
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 4-5 cups Crisco shortening or vegetable oil
- Proof yeast: Stir 2 tbsp warm water, 1/2 tsp sugar & 2 1/2tsp active dry yeast in a tall glass. Leave to rise for 5-10 minutes or until doubled in volume and foamy. If it does not rise and foam up, discard the yeast and buy a fresh batch of yeast before you proceed with the recipe.
- Make donut dough: Mix together 3 1/4 cups flour, 1 cup warm milk, 2 oz shortening, 3 yolks, 2 tbsp sugar and the proofed yeast mixture in mixer on low speed, with the dough hook attachment until the dough comes together, about 2 minutes. Slightly increase the speed and knead for another 15-20 minutes or until the dough is tacky to touch.
- Shape donut dough: Pick up the dough, form it into a ball. Butter a large bowl (for proofing), place the dough ball back in the greased bowl, then grease the dough ball itself to prevent it from forming a crust.
- Proof: Cover with a clean kitchen towel, place in a warm draft-free place and allow to rise for 1-2 hours (depending on how warm it is) until at least doubled in volume.
- Cut out 5″x5″ squares of parchment or wax paper.
- Punch down the dough, turn it out onto the greased surface (can use nonstick spray) and roll it to ½ inches thickness. Cut out as many rounds as possible with a 3 inch round cookie cutter and place 1 dough disk on 1 piece of prepared parchment paper. Keep re-rolling and cutting out as many donut disks as you can until all donut dough is used up.
- Cover cut out doughnuts with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rise for 45 min to 1 hour or until doubled in size.
- Heat 4-5 cups of Crisco shortening or vegetable oil in a heavy pot (cast iron) to 350F. To fry donuts, drop several of them at a time and allow to become golden before turning to the other side, about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Transfer to paper towels or wire rack to drain. Let cool.
Make the glaze:
- Mix together 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar, 1/4 cup milk, and 1/4 cup of light corn syrup.
- Once the doughnuts are cool enough to handle, drizzle the donut glaze on top or dip the top half of the donut in and let it drip off on a wire rack.
- ADVERTISEMENT -