- ADVERTISEMENT -
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 4.5 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- About 3 bananas sliced into 1/4–1/3 inch rounds
For The Cake Batter:
- 1/3 cup unsalted butter-softened
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 2 large eggs
- 2 overripe bananas-mashed (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- dash of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
For Caramel Glaze:
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Grease 8 x 8 x 2 inch square cake pan or 9 x 2 inch round cake pan. The pan must be 8 cups volume (cake will overflow 8 x 8 x 1 1/2 inch square pan, it has only 6 cup volume)
- Spread 2/3 cup brown sugar on the bottom of the pan and scattered pieces of butter (4.5 Tbsp). Place the pan in the oven for 5-7 minutes (until butter has melted). Remove from the oven and stir butter and sugar and spread evenly on the bottom. Arrange sliced bananas to cover the bottom. Set Aside.
- To make the batter in a bowl stir together dry ingredients ( flour, whole wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt), set aside.
- In a large bowl cream 1/3 cup butter and ¾ cup sugar. Add eggs and vanilla and mix to combine. Add Greek yogurt and mashed bananas and mix to combine.
- Turn your mixer on low and add dry ingredients mixture. Mix just to combine. Pour the batter over bananas, smooth the top and bake.
- Bake 30 minutes at 350 F, then reduce the heat to 325 F and bake for additional 25-35 minutes until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out completely clean.
- Let it cool in the pan completely, or at least until the bottom is barely warm before inverting on the plate.
- Use a knife to loosen the edges from the pan, place a plate upside-down on top of the pan, then invert cake.
To Make Caramel Glaze:
- In a saucepan combine butter, brown sugar, heavy cream and salt and bring to boil over medium heat stirring constantly.
- Simmer for 2-3 minutes, remove from heat and let it sit for 1-2 minutes. Pour 2/3 of the glaze over the banana layer. Reserve leftovers of the caramel glaze for serving.
- The glaze thickens as it cools and pale in colors!!!
- When serving reheat the leftovers of the glaze and drizzle on each slice. Sprinkle with toasted chopped pecans if desired. You can also top each slice with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
- ADVERTISEMENT -