Steel cut oats may be used to make some delicious cookies! These vegan and gluten-free banana breakfast steel cut oats cookies are chewy, soft, and mildly sweetened. It’s simple to make and just requires ten simple ingredients.
To cook oats:
- ¾ cup steel cut oats
- 2 ¼ cup water
- 2 medium ripe banana (about 7 oz / 250g)
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ¼ cup peanut butter (or other nut/seed butter)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups oat flour use gluten-free if needed (if measured, should be 135g)
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Start by cooking your steel cut oats. In a pan or pot, place in oats along with water, and bring mixture to a boil.
- 2 ¼ cup water,¾ cup steel cut oats
- Lower heat to a gentle simmer and cook for 12-15 minutes, or until most water are absorbed by oats. Give it a stir occasionally. You will want the oats mixture to be quite dry. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mash bananas until smooth.
- 2 medium ripe banana
- Add in rest of the wet ingredients and mix well.
- ¼ cup maple syrup,¼ cup peanut butter,1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Next, add in dry ingredients along with cooked steel cut oats. Mix until everything is well incorporated.
- 1 ½ cups oat flour,⅓ cup chocolate chips,2 teaspoon ground cinnamon,½ teaspoon baking powder,¼ teaspoon baking soda
- Using a cookie dough scoop or spoon, scoop out about 2-3 tablespoons of mixture. Slightly flatten it using the back of a spoon.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, or until they appear to be set.
- Let them sit in the pan for 10-15 minutes, before transferring them to a cooling tray. You can now enjoy your banana steel cut oats cookies!