- ADVERTISEMENT -
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract, lemon or almond extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup of white granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1 1/2 cups of overly ripe bananas (the darker the better usually 3 medium will be enough)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- coffee frosting
- cream cheese frosting
- powdered sugar or whipped cream with slices of fresh banana on top or another fruit
Coffee Frosting Ingredients:
- 2 1/2 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup softened butter
- 2 teaspoons of instant coffee (I used espresso)
- 3 tablespoons or more of milk, cream or water
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare the pan your using grease or line the pan with parchment paper
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition then the vanilla.
- Stir in the flour, baking soda and salt to to creamed mixture adding the bananas and sour cream, mixing evenly to combine.
- Pour into the prepared pan your using and see below for baking times.
- For squares use a brownie pan (30 to 35 minutes baking time
- For cupcakes (25 to 30 minutes)
- For 13 x 9 cake, springform or loaf cake pans 35 to 45 minutes
- Note: always using the toothpick method for the middle.
- Cool cake before frosting completely.
- Add the instant coffee to the milk to dissolve.
- In a medium sized bowl beat the softened butter with the powdered sugar adding the coffee milk mixture until smooth and fluffy.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 3 cups whipping cream
- 4 ounces softened cream cheese
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 4 teaspoons milk
- Add the cream cheese to a mixing bowl and beat using a high powered electric mixer, whip just till blended.
- Add the cream and keeping beating on high until adding the powdered sugar until soft peaks are formed.
- Frost cooled cakes, keep cake refrigerated.
- ADVERTISEMENT -